Deer Talk Now host Dan Schmidt gives you a great series of tips to get started planing fruit trees to help your deer. Plus, you’ll have fruit for yourself, too, and that’s a great bonus. Who doesn’t enjoy fresh apples, persimmons, plums, pears, cherries or other fruit?
Schmidt heads outdoors to a fruit orchard to show you firsthand some of the tips to help you get started or improve an existing orchard, including:
– Choosing the site for your fruit tree plot based on wind exposure, microclimate possibilities, sun exposure, water drainage and more;
– Deciding what kind of fruit trees you want to plant and what works best for your area;
– Why having different types of trees, instead of just one type of apple, for example, is more beneficial;
– Why you should have different sizes of trees that may grow faster or slower, and also will have different times during the year when they bear fruit;
– Tips on maintenance such as watering in summer, pruning and how to train branches to grow in a specific direction.
For great deer hunting products, venison cookbooks, gear and more, visit www.shopdeerhunting.com
Originally Aired April 1, 2015